Reporting Vehicle Accidents

You must take the following steps if you are in a motor vehicle accident involving a University-leased vehicle.

1. No matter how minor the accident, stop immediately and investigate.

2. Prevent another accident. Make sure a light or similar signaling device is placed to warn oncoming traffic.

3. Contact the nearest police department or 911 in the event that the accident involves injury or irreparable damage to any vehicle involved.

4. Contact campus police if the accident occurred on or near campus.

University of Pittsburgh Police Department  Contact Information
Oakland (412) 624-2121
Bradford (814) 368-3211
Greensburg (724) 836-9865
Johnstown  (814) 269-7005
Titusville  (814) 827-4488

5. Record the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of as many witnesses as you can. Also, write down the license plate number of any vehicles present at the time.

6. Any and all accidents or incidents involving University-leased vehicles must be reported within 24-48 hours. Complete and send a University Vehicle Accident Report Form, including photos of the vehicles damaged, to: 

7. With the exception of the police, first responders, and insurance representatives, refrain from giving information concerning the accident to anyone. Provide identifying information to the other party involved, but do not assume responsibility. 

8. Report the accident to the Fleet Services' 24/7 emergency line: (412) 624-8801. 

9. In addition to this automobile accident reporting process, injuries sustained by University employees while on University business must be reported to WorkPartners at 1 (800) 633-1197.